Josh Moody is the Senior Pastor of College Church in Wheaton, Illinois. Robin Weekes serves as a minister of Emmanuel Church in Wimbledon, London.
Burning Hearts: Preaching to the Affections was published by Christian Focus.
Here a ten helpful quotes from the book:
1. Affections are the movement of our thoughts, feelings and will towards a desired object, person or event. (14)
2. Affections are more than emotions (15).
3. Preaching to the affections is ‘affectional preaching’. Preaching to the affections means preaching that targets the heart (15).
4. Preaching is the God-ordained means by which He meets with His people through His Word and by His Spirit in such a way that His people’s eyes are opened to see Jesus and be captivated by Him (25).
5. Christ is the context and the goal of our preaching, but more than that, we actually encounter Christ when the Word of Christ is preached (31).
6. A ministry of preaching to the affections is a ministry that is aiming to do the gospel work of softening the heart of God’s people so that they will follow God’s Word. Preaching God’s word with the transforming power of the Holy Spirit softens hearts and changes lives (42).
7. Preaching to the affections maintains the purity of the church (49).
8. Good biblical preaching then will always probe the workings of the heart (56).
9. Preaching the character of our great and glorious God will touch people’s hearts (97).
10. We should not lower our commitment to biblical scholarship, critical thinking, careful exegesis, one iota. Instead with that in place, and constantly emphasized, we should direct that message, according to the authentic genuine message of the passage, towards the hearers so that they (and we) have our hearts warmed, changed and moved towards life, to the praise and glory of God (136).
Evan Knies is an undergraduate student at Boyce College where he studies Biblical and Theological Studies. He lives in Louisville, KY with his wife, Lauren. You can follow him on Twitter @Evan_Knies.